Sunday, May 24, 2009

Learning styles

Why is a Sunday church meeting so screwy to me? I have been looking at learning styles and done a couple of inventories:
Here are the results from the first:

| ACT       X                             REF
| 11 9 7 5 3 1 1 3 5 7 9 11
| <- ->
|
| SEN X INT
| 11 9 7 5 3 1 1 3 5 7 9 11
| <- ->
|
| VIS X VRB
| 11 9 7 5 3 1 1 3 5 7 9 11
| <- ->
|
| SEQ X GLO
| 11 9 7 5 3 1 1 3 5 7 9 11
| <- ->

The results state:
If your score on a scale is 9-11, you have a very strong preference for one dimension of the scale. You may have real difficulty learning in an environment which does not support that preference.
In other words if the church is creating an environment that is at variance to my results then I may have real difficulty learning there.

The scales come out that I am an Active Intuitive Visual Global learner, with Intuitive Visual Global as fitting into the category of real difficulty if the environment is Sensing, Verbal and Sequential. Ooops... anyone see any similarity with church?

In the second inventory it is shown as a graph, with the numeric results alongside:

Numeric results:

Visual 18

Social 10

Physical 3

Aural 3

Verbal 12

Solitary 8

Logical 7


Anyone want to guess how much of regular church is aural and physical? OK, so I know if you like icons or stained glass then they are visual - I don't like either. If you like liturgy they are verbal - maybe - not sure about that. I don't like liturgy either. I like discussion - which happens at a house group but not at 'church'.

Why are churches constrained to only suit certain types of people, alienating others?

1 comment:

Steve Hayes said...

I tried it too, and my results are at Notes from underground: Learning styles