Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Psychopaths and terrorists?

I ended up having a somewhat heated discussion yesterday evening. I think it was what a friend used to call 'vigorous fellowship', but I'm not sure if it was actually more than that.

The core of the discussion was about accountability. I believe strongly in transparency and responsibility, but I believe the current vogue within the evangelical church for accountability is close to co-dependency. My friend on the other hand felt that anyone who said they were accountable to God alone was off the rails since 'psychopaths and terrorists believe that' and that we should all be accountable to other people - specifically leaders in the churches and missions.

Let me explain more... when I talk about transparency and responsibility I am meaning that as followers of the Messiah we should walk in the light within the community of others who are also on that journey. As we walk that path with them, we dialogue and listen to them. We are, however, totally responsible for our own actions.

So where does what I believe differ from accountability? I have discussed this with others who do believe in accountability and the 'rubber hits the road' so to speak when the people you are accountable to [they would believe in specific nominated people] and you disagree. At that point you should follow their leading rather than your own conscience. If you disagree and do what you feel is right then you are not submitting to them. Actually if you disagree and do follow your own conscience then the accountability was a waste of time!

In my view following the direction of others is abdicating responsibility for your actions. People who feel that this form of accountability is good and wholesome, say 'No, you are still responsible, you are just following the direction of the person to whom you are accountable'. This sounds awfully like the 'Spiritual Directors' within the Catholic Church, which I have read about but not discussed with Catholics.

Discussing this with Peter [ministry partner] he is convinced that most of modern evangelicalism is related to what he calls 'sin management' - trying to reduce sin and make nice comfortable Christians who fill the pews, allowing the leaders to tell us all what to do. When discussing this further I realised that the modern evangelical movement in its propensity for 'sin management' is actually focusing on what we used to call the 'sins of commission' rather than the 'sins of omission'. By that I mean they are more worried that people don't do anything wrong than that they actually do something right.

This makes me feel like shouting out 'Is God alive? Does he speak today? Is He our real 'Spiritual Director'?'

I frequently feel that the evangelical church operates as if God is sleeping and that we have to develop a long set of rules and methods to make sure we don't do anything wrong before He wakes up. The 'parable of the talents', which is about omission rather than commission, seems to be forgotten. If we are truly living in communion with our Heavenly Father then earthly accountability relationships are meaningless. What I observe seems remarkably close to church leaders behaving as the pharisees of Jesus time.

Psychopaths and terrorists? Psychopaths follow the devil and terrorists follow men. On that basis, being accountable to others and abdicating our responsibility is most likely that we become terrorists. Jesus called us to follow Him. Not another man, but Him. God incarnate. Maybe then we might positively do the good we're supposed to do rather than forever worrying about not doing something wrong.

Accountability? I still think it can be or develop into abusive heavy shepherding. Jesus came to rescue us from that. From all I see it is counter-scriptural and very dangerous. I have more faith in the love of God than in the wisdom of church or mission leaders.

1 comment:

getting there said...

Hi Richard, you pose some excellent views! The biggest thing is that preachers are 'lording' it over the followers. The dependancy a lot of christians have (and I was one of them) is the dependancy on the pastors. I trusted our pastor to shepherd correctly and lovingly. One thing I can say is God is faithful! He is the good shepherd!